Google Search

Thursday, December 17, 2009

XAML exporter for Sketchup - Round 2

I just finished fixing some issues with the Google Sketchup Xaml Exporter.
The updated file can be downloaded here:

The new version fixes:
  • Different materials with the same base texture filename caused only one texture file to be created, thus wrong texture to appear.
  • Group transformations were ignored.
  • Back facing materials now supported.


I re-uploaded the file, this time under a bit different name. It seems that Vista shows me one version of the file, and even loads it correctly, while it shows a totally different file to the world.
I was told that the file I uploaded is not the correct file, and when checking locally, I saw that the size is really different. Strange, even rebooting didn't help. Oh well, saving as (and even copying!) to another local folder solved it, but I still don't understand why it happened.


  1. Hello I have one problem I like know if I download the page sketchup model plugin can convert to xaml, because I prove it but not convert is right.. no covert none model that page. thanks

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. It doesn't look like this plugin will reuse same points making it not efficient and smooth shading not an option.

  4. I've made a best effort to reuse materials, as materials are a bigger bottleneck in WPF, so if a single point is joint by several faces, each with a different material, then you're right.
    However, the way it works for each material is simply collecting all the points and triangles that SketchUp returns.
    If you have a model that you want me to check and perhaps improve the plugin, please send it to me with an explanation of what needs to be improved in the output.

  5. nice!!! works perfectly!
    i almost used Blender

  6. Hi I have just tried using the exporter and it seems to miss the commas between the X, Y and Z coordinates. The XAML markup that it generates is not valid.

  7. A bit more info. The problem wasn't the commas, it is that fact that the exporter puts the coordinates down in one long string. The string was getting too long and the XAML parser sees the XAML as incorrectly formatted.I had a Positions string that was 80,000 characters long (1500 vertices). Manually inserting a line break somewhere near the middle seemed to fix the problem. So perhaps the t_pos_s and to_tex_s2 functions should monitor how long the string is getting and insert line breaks every 20,000 characters or so.